Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Almost...

Almost isn't my nemesis, it's my enabler.  Almost is the gateway through which Tantrum haunts me.  I can work on something long enough that almost done becomes done enough.  I can see the sink.  That's improvement, right?  but by tonight I'll be overwhelmed, with no energy to finish.

The Dishes are Almost done




The laundry is almost done (you see the "laundry organizer too, right?  this is not my imagination?)
More importantly: Yes, those are my hawaiian print sleep shorts.  you're welcome.


The laundry was to the point where I couldn't use the toilet without risk of splashing the dirty clothes.  so now that it's down to just over one load left, I can rest right?  WRONG!  That's what Tantrum wants me to think.  (For those of you who aren't regulars here, Tantrum is my nemesis and alter ego, whom is easily frustrated, to the point of breaking household items).  With the blink of an eye, I will be looking for pants to wear again.

There were more examples, but I've learned that if you try to do everything, you end up finishing nothing.  I finished the laundry and the dishes.  then I took time to bond with my kids, making sure not to destroy the house in the mean time.


dishes done (after 2 days the counter is still clear, nevermind the sinkful of dishes)


It's so much easier to deal with the dishes when there are virtually none to deal with.  I haven't used my dishwasher in two days, and look!  The sink is clear and I have but a few dishes in the sink to be washed.  This makes me happy.  Then there's the laundry...


 Between myself, my wife, and 2.5 kids, there's a lot of laundry to be done.  Keeping it looking like this is tough.  Let the records show that it does happen, from time to time.

All in all, the weekend I started writing this post went well, and I have stayed on top of the dishes and the laundry (for the most part) since then.  I know I have dishes waiting for me at home, but I know I will clean them all tonight. 


So for everyone out there touched by a little Tantrum, remember this: Get it done.  Do not give yourself the satisfaction of excuses.  You will not be able to take care of every single thing every single time, but you can select a few items (like the dishes and laundry) and start there.  Get them done.  Get into the routine of keeping them done.  Maybe after a month or so you will find yourself in the position to add something else to the list, like cleaning the floors, or the bathrooms.  For me, it was a matter of accepting that I cannot do it all, and to focus on a few things rather than trying to do a little bit of everything. 


of course, it is our squirrely nature to want to jump from place to place.  So we'll see how long this lasts.  For now, Almost is a thing of the past. 


I Almost believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment