Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Accountability and soup

How does one hold themselves accountable in this day and age, with so many distractions?  So many opportunities to stray from or procrastinate with a commitment? 

My Accountability Deficit Disorder has always been best handled when someone else holds me accountable.  Obviously, as a grown man, this is a problem.  My wife is not my babysitter (though she may feel like it sometimes), neither is my boss, or anyone else for that matter.  While that would make my life easier, that is not the way the world works. 

I could try an ADD/HD coach...?  I will definitely put a pin in that idea and revisit it in the future.

I want to be able to hold myself accountable, and I can't if I rely on everyone else all the time.  Right?  Right.


Here's a picture:




So, the point (which I actually remembered!) is this:
 I have something I need to do.  Really it's something we all need to do, but I can only be held responsible for myself and family, right?  So I am posting this blog to commit to doing it (since that's worked somewhat in the past).

I have been told by my Dr. that while I'm not obese, I am overweight, and am at that point in my life where I need to start focusing on my eating habits (more on the subject of "Diet" in a later blog).  So I am going to.  I am going to eat more protein, less carbs, more veggies, and limited fruit, following the advise of my doctor verbatim.  I hope to post my success (or lack thereof) in the comments on this blog every week.  I will remember, I will remember, I will remember.

So, feel free to visit and ask how it's coming along if you don't see a post from me.  Ask about the meals I've eaten.  Ask about my success.  Rip me a new one for not posting like I said I would.  My goal is this: hold myself accountable, so you all don't have to; at the same time documenting my success (hopefully) to potentially inspire at least one other person to live their life better.

One thing I'm super excited about is trying new recipes, and I hope to share those too!

Keep in touch, and feel free to kick my Googlebutt if I can't comply with my own expectations.





P.S.  While on the topic of recipes:  I made Hippocrates Soup a couple weeks ago.  Look it up.  I just made one batch, and ate a couple meals from it daily until it was gone.  It wasn't bad tasting at all, and with a little tweaking (I couldn't find all the ingredients) should be delicious.  Anyone who's thought about it (especially if you have issues with digestion) I would recommend it.  I felt noticeably better after a few days, and since I had substituted this soup a couple meals, i had actually lost a few pounds too (Don't worry, I found them later...)

http://www.jessainscough.com/2010/06/recipe-of-the-week-hippocrates-soup/


P.P.S.  This is an example of a day where I can't do anything I need to do, at all... but I can talk your ear off incessantly about anything and everything for the entire day.  So, with much will power, I will stop typing and spare you all ;)

6 comments:

  1. Andrew my friend I do wish you the best. I too am going to be getting on a exercise regiment pretty soon. Good stuff man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sticking with it that's tough... I have a history of exercise... but that history is getting farther and farther away. It's easy to burn out. With last September's Tough Mudder in WI, I found I have a lot more fun and stay interested when I am doing a variety of different things. Instead of running every day, run a day here, bike there, hike some trails here... and if i'm just not feeling it that day, drop and do some push-ups every 10 min or so to spice it up. Now it's just a matter of recreating the routine. Good luck on your end, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I just realized I could have benefitted from a bit more spell-check. *Advice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Accountability is one of my downfalls as well. Sometimes I will make a deal with a friend to be accountability partners. Using your blog & followers to help hold you accountable is a great idea IMO. One that I might steal, if you don't mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitty I don't mind at all!

    Just checking in to say that while I haven't done the greatest food-wise, I have been more active this week, with less alcohol and more healthy food (by the way, V8 is friggin awesome!)

    yesterday I participated in a carwash for a good cause (at work) and ended up washing cars for 4 hours. I ate a lot of food, but it wasn't terrible. although, honestly, if I have to put comments in like "but it wasn't terrible" I am probably justifying something I shouldn't be...
    to be continued...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I ate like CRAP yesterday. Saw that coming. Ran Thursday AM and Saturday AM, and anticipate a long run or hike or some combination of the two tomorrow. I have the day off to catch up on schoolwork, and I know I'll need a break, and a run through the woods sounds GREAT! And Mrs. Wilcox is doing an awesome job telling me what to eat and when to exercise, Regardless of how poorly I listen :) I weighed myself last night for a reality check: 216Lbs. (someone run a conversion on that for Kg). I'll keep you posted on that too.

    ReplyDelete