Saturday, April 12, 2014

Gimme a break!

Many of us need to take breaks.  The day is best digested one bite at a time.  So here I am, taking a break from my homework, updating my blog.  It seems like no matter what I do, when I take a break from something, it is hard to get that focus back.  However, I have noticed that when I write an entry in my blog, I can more easily transition back into homework.  Maybe it's because I'm still thinking analytically? 

 
"Curse you, desert land! Get out of my mind!"

I'm not drowning in research of the architectural wonders on the Giza Plateau in Egypt (though I do find myself daydreaming about it from time to time) but I'm still putting the mind to work to make sense of something and write it in an understandable, educated manner.  I wonder, for those still in school, if a routine change in subjects will allow the mind to stay fresh yet still able to retain information.  Maybe this is why highschool and college are designed in the manner they are?  This explains why homework is so much less stimulating than school.  Aside from active participation and actually hearing the information provided, a class room environment creates a schedule in our minds, to transition from one subject to another.  At home, I used to spend HOURS doing high school math.  Not because I loved it, but because it took a long time due to lack of interest and thus lack of comprehension.  Had I instead spent 30 min in Math, then 30 minutes reading, than 30 min of Math, maybe I would have muscled through more easily?  Math was about the only subject I had homework in (aside from writing assignments and group project for other courses).  I just had a hard time wrapping my head around it.  And now, looking back, I realize there was always this looming thought that I was stuck doing this crap until it was done.  How much easier would it have been to do it in increments.  To have that though changed to "only 15 more minutes until I can take a break.



Sometimes it just takes doing something productive (even if it's not what you initially intended to do) to get your mind right so you can do what you need to.  That's what I'm thinking.  In the past, I've had to write papers pretty much at the last minute, because the motivation of the deadline.  But I seem to be trudging through this one a little at a time, stress free.  It's made a big difference in my level of anxiety!

No comments:

Post a Comment