Monday, December 23, 2013

A weekend of Accomplishment

          I've said before that I want to endeavor to be more selfless, and more supportive, at home.  This weekend was a huge success at that.  My wife had a rough week last week, and thankfully had the entire weekend off.  We stayed home all weekend, watching movies with the kids and relaxing.  I engaged the kids more, playing Just Dance with my 6 yr old, reading to my 3 yr old, and doing other all around childish things with them.  I made dinner both nights, washed ALL the laundry, cleaned the kitchen, vacuumed... without asking or expecting help from anyone.  These were all things I needed to do or wanted done, so I took it upon myself to do them, from playing with the kids to cleaning up the house.  It wasn't easy.  There were times where I almost reverted back to being put off that everyone was just being lazy while I was doing all the work, but I told myself these are thing that I had wanted done (dishes, laundry, etc), so I shouldn't expect my wife and kids to drop what THEY are doing just because of what I want.  I did what I felt should be done, and felt accomplished having done it without being a jerk about it.
My wife got to relax.  she didn't have to make dinner at all (she did make lunch on Saturday, and it was delicious), she didn't have to pick up after the kids (that is one thing I did make them do); heck, she didn't even have to get out of her PJ's!  I did that for her.  I was proud of myself, and she was thankful, which made me feel appreciated.  All in all, it was totally worth going the extra mile to get things done myself.  I think I will be able to make a habit of it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment