Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Anxiety!

10/22/13



Anxiety.  We all know it.  Some too well.

I get it before I have to leave for work.  Did I forget anything?  Before a race.  And recently, when registerring for classes. 

I somehow had it in my head that registration began in Oct.  I kept forgetting.  Then I would tell my wife "I need to register for classes." 

This went on for a week or so into October.  Then, one day, I selected my classes and registerred.  or tried to.  I got an error message stating I did not have an active registration session.  Then I remember an email I had received from my advisor stating registration starts mid-november.  All this stress for nothing.



There's always that fear too that you will get somewhere... the hotel, the airport, work, school... and realize you forgot something.  Yesterday it was my work ID.  This fear causes that pre-departure anxiety that I can't stand.  Packing for vacation is insane.  I have tried packing early, but then when I'm done I stress out from then until I unpack at my destination, wondering what I forgot.  Now I wait until the night before.  I might set some things aside, but I don't pack until it's time to go.  And I bring $20 or so to buy whatever I forgot.  Sometimes we just have to accept that something might go wrong, and do the best we can to be prepared for it.  Whether it's registration, packing, leaving for work...  Even things like vehicle maintenance, housekeeping.  Worrying doesn't solve anything, makes many things worse, and for many with ADD it is impossible to avoid.




6/10/14
Oh man, to add to this... I tried registerring again in November and rec'd a message that my school id was no longer valid.  I flipped out, thinking that my student status had been revoked after taking a semester off and not registerring in time.  Turns out, my password just needed to be reset.  things are groovy now, I finish the semester with 2 A's and a B and a lot less hair, and maybe a drinking problem LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment